On Saturday morning I took part in a beach cleanup at my local beach, Gordon’ s Bay. It was a community event and I believe about 47 like-minded people took part. We were each given a set of surgical gloves and a plastic rubbish bag. Then for 90 minutes, we walked the beach and picked up any sort of rubbish we could find.
The wonderful end result was that we collected about 60 bags of rubbish in that time! The bonus was that I got to do something great for the environment, clean the beach for everyone, meet like-minded souls from the community, share time and feel good about my contribution. And I got to get some exercise and a walk!
There were similar events on other beaches in the greater Cape Town area and it is a monthly event organized by Clean C along with Showme Helderberg (in my area). If you would like to lend a helping hand and meet some fun people, why not join the next one at a beach close to you.
Breathe in and out. Ponder our environment. Help out.
Taking part and collecting a bag of rubbish that really doesn’t belong on the beach, made me think about how I can help more.
Here are some ideas to try, if you don’t already do them:
- Pick up any rubbish you notice while on your daily walk and bin it.
- Recycle your plastics, glass, paper, cardboard and tin cans and take them to a recycling centre.
- Use material bags instead of plastic bags for shopping or save and reuse the plastic ones.
- Compost your food waste for your garden or perhaps find some pigs who would delight in eating it.
- Teach the young ones in your life not to litter, explain why not and spread the message.
- Be mindful of your water usage as it is a limited yet vital resource.
- Join a community event similar to this beach cleanup in your local area.
Find a way to help our environment a little each day and let’s make a difference together. The environment will definitely be happier.
Breathe. Ponder. Help.
There are so many more ideas, once you start thinking about it. How do you do your bit to help our environment? Please share your ideas in the comments section and lets come up with some fun ones we can all try.
with gratitude for reading, Delicia xox